Fish Puppet so far



For my Final Major Project I decided to make a fish puppet and wanted it to move. 

I wanted to use a piece of fish work from the diagnostic project as the basis.
This is was inspired by Bridget Riley’s style of work.
My Bridget Riley inspired fish


















These are two areas that I explored and managed to do some development on before Vernon Street was closed.

3D Puppet

After looking at different ways of creating a frame that could move, I used Illustrator to design a fish skeleton and laser cutting to create it. I managed to get to this stage.

Laser cut fish made with mountboard



Joins pieces together and allows full circular movement
Bookbinding spring holds pieces together/ allows movement

























Spring from a bound sketchbook
















My plan was to look at designing different shaped fish and re-create them using different laser cut materials (e.g. acrylic, ply) and then also look at creating different coverings as skin, so that I had a skeleton style and a skin on version.



Shadow Puppet

I used Illustrator to design a fish and backgrounds to create shadow puppets. The prototypes were cut out with the laser cutter.


Positives
Positives

Positives


Negative fish









Background

Negative background over negative fish
 My intention was to develop different shaped fish and backgrounds and use the OHP and lighting studio to create videos.

I now need to re-think what is possible and re-plan to suit.


Comments

  1. How did you print your Bridget Riley fish? Really love it. The variance in the lines really give it a sense of how it would move through the water. Amazing. You should sell these. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe. I actually drew that one with ink, and then created a stencil from black card. I do want to do more printing with this fish.

      Delete
  2. Mandy, this looks great! I really like the shadows the 3D versions create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like your ingenuity in this design, thinking about how you might use what was to hand. The sign of a true bricoleur.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bookbinding and printing on buckram

Creating the Fish Body