Bookbinding and printing on buckram

Book Binding

Pamphlet Stitch

Stitched book, uses odd number of holes and bookbinding cotton.
9 sheets (1 coloured 8 plain). 8 sheets for book one used as jig.
Tools - awl, needle, knife, ruler and cutting mat.
Pamphlet Stitch Book
Stitching tied in middle
Stiches show on spine of book




















Japanese Slab Stitch

Stitched book, and bookbinding cotton.
9 sheets (2 coloured 7 plain). 8 sheets for book one used as jig.
Tools - awl, needle, knife, ruler and cutting mat.

Japanese Stab Stitch

Stitches on outside









Concertina Book

Glued book with book covers on front and back.
1 long sheet folded to create pages, grey board and buckram.
Tools - Glue knife, ruler and cutting mat.

Concertina Book
Paper folded to create concertina


Other Books I've Made
Different style of concertina book

Pamphlet made with coloured paper


Pamphlet stitch made with mono printed paper


















Mono Printing on Buckram

It is possible to print onto Buckram to create your own book covers for your handmade books.
I decided to create the design for my mono prints by tearing paper shapes rather than cutting them out. 
First Print
Second Print
I did the first prints on paper to make sure I was happy with the design and layout











Adding colour
Second Print

Second print from one lot of ink





















Laying the colour onto the plate randomly to create texture








Turning the fish over to use in left from previous prints



Adding Small Fish



Taking multiple prints without adding more ink




Building Layers of ink on the plates and the stencils




Printing onto Buckram









Taking Second prints on paper after printing on buckram to get textured images




Book Making
I really enjoyed each stage of this process. I think there are lots of possibilities for an artist with bookmaking, especially as a record of your own work.

I need to practise cutting with the knife, I think I press on too much so don't get a straight edge.

Mono Printing
I was really pleased with some of the textures I achieved while printing and would like to create more prints. The more ink is layered the better the printed piece becomes. I particularly like the ghosting that is achieved from where the stencils was. There are lots of possiblities when stencils are moved or turned over.

The effect achieved on the buckram was really satisfying, but I realised that it ink is laid down too thickly on Buckram it can be easily chipped off when dry. In future I will take care to layer the ink thinly.

Doing a second print on paper after printing on Buckram gave even more texture.

For me mono printing is a process that has endless possiblities for experimentation and trying new things. Even simple shapes can be used to create fantastic prints if you are prepared to be creative with how you lay down the ink and re-using shapes. I want to experiment with fabric next.

Comments

  1. Mandy these prints are amazing too! The water and fish scale textures are inspired. I quite like the thick blobby bits. Add some depth and the difference between thick and thin ink gives them an energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Chloe, I feel that adding the ink with different tools is a good idea to experiment with

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely use of vibrant colour and texture, great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fish Puppet so far

Creating the Fish Body